Emergency Welfare Assistance

Emergency Welfare Crisis Assistance

Telford & Wrekin Council's Emergency Welfare Crisis Assistance scheme is designed to provide help to residents who have experienced some type of crisis, disaster or unexpected emergency and need assistance or support to keep them or their family safe and well, and cannot afford the assistance that they need.

Emergency Welfare Resettlement Assistance

Telford & Wrekin Council's Emergency Welfare Resettlement Assistance scheme is designed to provide applicants with the essential items of furniture, goods or clothing they need if:

  • They are moving into their own home after:
    • Living in care
    • A long term stay in hospital
    • Release from prison or detention
    • A period living in a hostel or refuge
    • A long term period living in some other form of institution


  • They need the essential item of furniture to enable them to remain living independently in their home.

To qualify for Emergency Welfare Resettlement Assistance the applicant or their partner must be receiving, or about to receive one of the following benefits:

    • Income Support
    • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
    • Universal Credit
    • Pension Credit

We do not make any payments of cash under these schemes

Emergency Food & Toiletries

If you are in financial crisis and have no money for food or toiletries then you may be able to get a food parcel to help you out until your next payment.  Applications for food parcels can be made by phoning or visiting Telford Citizens Advice Bureau, your local Wrekin Housing Trust shop (If you are a Wrekin Housing Trust Tenant), or by calling the Council's Crisis Assistance Line on 01952 380400.

More information about how to apply for a food parcel can be found here.

Other financial help available

If you need financial help to meet the costs of essential items in an emergency, unforeseen event or exceptional pressures then there are grants and other support that you may be eligible for:

Short term Advances - people who encounter a period of financial need whilst waiting for their first benefit payment or following a change of circumstances can apply for an advance of funds that is then repaid over a short period of time.

Budgeting Loans/Advances - can help claimants to meet essential expenses such as needing to buy items like furniture, household equipment or the expenses of starting work. This loan is interest free and repaid out of benefits. To qualify, you have to be in receipt of benefits for at least six months and meet other requirements set by the DWP.

To apply for either of these funds visit: www.gov.uk/ or contact Job Centre Plus on 0800 055 6688.

Credit Union Loan - Credit Unions are not for profit organisations who offer bank, saving accounts and low-interest loans for it's members. There are currently three credit unions operating in Telford & Wrekin area. For more information please visit www.justcreditunion.org , www.fairshare.uk.com or MWS Credit Union at Jubilee House for residents of Madeley, Woodside and Sutton Hill.

Sure Start Maternity Grant - is a one-off payment of £500 available to people who claim certain benefits to help towards the immediate costs of having a new baby. People usually qualify if they have no other children, unless they're expecting a multiple birth. Claimants do not have to pay the grant back and it does not affect other benefits or tax credits. To find out more about whether you would be eligible, go to the DWP website or call Job Centre Plus on 0800 055 6688.

Funeral Payments - for people who have a low income and need help to pay for a funeral. To qualify you must receive a means tested benefit or tax credit, you must have had a family or close relationship with the deceased and you must apply for the payment within three months of the funeral. For more information visit the DWP website or call their Bereavement Service Helpline on 0845 606 0265.

Discretionary Housing Payment - available to anyone claiming Housing Benefit, or Housing Costs paid via Universal Credit, who needs help with a short fall in their rent.  Read more about the scheme or download an application form here. For further information please call 01952 383838.

To make an application online, please choose the option below that best describes your current circumstances.  If you are unable to make an online application please call the Emergency Welfare Crisis Assistance Line on 01952 380400.

Continue a saved form

Choose this option to retrieve a previously saved form - enter your reference number from last time and click Continue to carry on
Loading section. Please wait a few moments... Please wait while we search for your details
If you have any difficulty using the online form, please call the Crisis Assistance Line on 01952 380400 so that they can help.